Monday, December 13, 2010

News!

This last Friday I received a message from Youth for Christ saying that although our license has not come through yet, they had a possible placement in mind for us. Or, should I say "placements." I called back and spoke with one of the placement coordinators who explained that sometimes a good match is found before a couple receive their license. So when that happens they call the state and have that couple's file pushed through so it can get approved right away. She told me there was no pressure and we could feel free to say no, but there are two siblings who they thought would be a good match for us.

They are two little boys; the older one 14 months and the younger 5 or 6 months (I called her after she was off work and did not have their file right in front of her). Obviously that is very close in age and they were both born premature, but are doing well now as far as they can tell. She filled me in on their medical history and told me that they are in the process of moving towards needing to be adopted. We talked for awhile and I told her I would fill Justin in and get back to her first thing in the morning.

I called and left Justin a rather long message telling him everything I knew and he called back a few hours later to say we should go for it! We talked more when he got home and prayed about it that night. I called her first thing the next day and left a message to say that we wanted to move forward with this.

That was Saturday, which was obviously her weekend. I called again later that afternoon, but didn't want to harass her on her days off, so decided to wait to call again until Monday morning. We had so many questions though! How soon? How much do they weigh (to determine clothing size, diaper size, car seat size, etc.)? What's the timeline? What does the process look like? How soon? What are their needs? Where are they? Did I say how soon? I wanted all those questions answered right away and wanted to go shopping right away. But, once again, we needed to be patient. This all has been a long process, but this weekend has felt like eternity.

I spoke with her this morning and now we are waiting to hear what the state is going to do. The waiting was hard before, but now that we have two wonderful names, it is even more difficult. Also, hearing how things work we realize that the state could have come up with a different plan for them before our names even got to their desk.

There's not a whole lot more we know than that. There were several reasons why they thought we would be a good match, but one was that I explained in our application how I wanted to be home as much as possible once we had a child or children in our home. Both of these little boys have already been through a lot and need some stability and a lot of love and attention. It is not guaranteed that they will end up needing to be adopted, although that is what we are already hoping for. But, right now they need love and they need a home and we can provide both. So, even though the end result is not known or guaranteed, we can't argue the logic of loving two children who need to be cared for despite how short or long they are with us.

Please pray with us that we will hear more very very soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I am so happy for you guys! I will be praying that you will have the strength to go through all of this and really put your heart out there to love the boys! I can't wait to hear what happens! do you know names or anything? Merry Christmas a little early :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...how exciting and overwhelming!! I had to read through a second time to be sure of the specifics. Again, have I mentioned that you guys are amazing and are carrying out the character of Christ better than almost anyone I know? Ryan and I will be praying and will...as you are, anxiously await more news! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete