So, things have definitely gotten better since my last post.
There were two major things I knew were going to be difficult with Jack; nap/bed time and eating. Well, each night Jack went down easier and easier and last night he slept through the entire night!!!! This was huge in that we were told that he is usually up multiple times during the night. It took a lot of work the first couple nights (and I'm sure we're not out of the woods yet), but I think he's starting to feel comfortable sleeping here and is learning how to fall asleep without needing to be held each time he wakes up. Don't get me wrong, we love holding him and we do a lot of that, we also want him to have the ability to fall back asleep when he wakes up during the night. And now, I just put him down for a nap when he was still awake and haven't heard a sound from him!
He is starting to eat more and more, enjoying the foods we're giving him, and keeping everything he eats down (which did not happen at all the first day - yuck!). I'm doing my best to meet him half way and compromise on some foods. Example- we were told his favorite food is french fries so we tried sweet potato fries, and it worked! He has a lot of weight to gain and I'm really hoping to accomplish that the healthiest way possible.
Today he had a doctor's appointment that immediately followed his visit with his birth mom. Both boys are usually a little cranky after that as they go for four hours and do not usually nap at all. I was a little nervous for the appointment in that it would be the first outing I've done by myself with the two of them. Plus, I wasn't sure how they would be after their visit. But, I am happy to say that we all made it :) The boys did great and it was pretty much smooth sailing the whole time. Thank You Jesus!!! Hank has a little bit of a short fuse and that's mostly what I was worried about. However, although he was obviously tired and bored he handled it like a champ.
Finally, a little more about Jack. He is this teeny tiny little guy, but full of energy and joy. He has lots of smiles and loves snuggling up to just about anyone. He says a lot of sounds, but no clear words so we are working with him on learning a few signs. He's a smart little boy and has already picked up "more" and "please" and now we are working on "all done" and "thank you." He isn't walking on his own yet, but when he gets really determined and focused he can take several steps on his own.
Please continue to pray for both of the boys in their development; that God would develop their minds and bodies, and most importantly that God would develop their hearts for Him.
Soo exciting, Mel! Keep the updates coming. I think of you guys often and am thrilled at your love for Christ being displayed in your love for these boys.
ReplyDeleteOh Mel, you are already both doing such a good job of lovin' on those boys. We have been praying for the bonding and the security for them and especially for their health and wisdome for the both of you on what is best for them. Love the compromise of sweet potatoe fries, nice one! We love those in this house. If you need any ideas as far as healthy food for the little one just let me know. I might be able to offer some suggestions. You are both doing awesome and we love the updates!
ReplyDeleteOh Melissa, so glad to hear that things seem to be coming along somewhat smoothly. This is so much for you two to adjust to and you seem to be handling it soooooo well. I am so awfully proud of both of you. Keep up the good work and God bless you all. Am keeping you all in my prayers. Love you lots!
ReplyDelete