Monday, January 31, 2011

Silence to Craziness

Okay - so where to begin. The last we heard about anything was towards the beginning of January. Since then it has been silence. Silence about the boys, silence about our license, just complete silence. Then on January 26th I received a call at about 5pm to see if Justin and I could be at a meeting the next day at noon. The message said they wanted to talk about placing the boys with us and what that transition would look like. The last we heard basically gave us the impression that the boys were going to a different home. Now, several weeks later after hearing absolutely nothing we got a call about transitioning them into our home.

Thankfully Justin had the next day off and I was able to find someone to cover for me on short notice. We went to a meeting that consisted of 3 Youth For Christ staff, one state worker, a social worker for the agency the boys are currently in, and a conference call with the boys' current foster moms. We went into the meeting thinking it was just to ask questions, find out what's been going on the last several weeks, and learn more about the boys. However, right away we were introduced as the boys' new foster parents.

We then sat through a 2 hour meeting where each different person gave their thoughts and details on the boys and what it would look like to transition them into our home. A lot of information we had already heard, but a lot we had not. We left the meeting being very overwhelmed and not sure what to do. There were a lot of "if's" and hopeful outcomes they talked about with us, but nothing that was for sure or guaranteed. There are still a few medical concerns for the boys and it is not guaranteed that they will eventually be "our boys."

We knew we wanted to do what God was calling us to do, but we also knew we didn't want to just jump into a situation because we want kids. We didn't want to say "no" because we were scared, but we didn't want to say "yes" because we're inpatient.

After a few hours of processing (my form being some rock climbing and Justin's being some wood working) I came home and went to talk to Justin out if the garage. The first thing he said was "How often do you get the chance to do something great with your life and make a difference? I think we should do it." I felt the same.

These boys need a home where they can be kept together and given a lot of time. They need to be in a home where they have a mom and a dad and have someone home with them all the time. They need to be in a home that does not have other kids so they can be given the care, engagement, and attention they need. We can, and want, to do those things. Whether we get to adopt them, or they have to leave in 9 months, we can hopefully give them what they need now that will hopefully make a difference in their futures.

So, with all that said, I went and met the youngest one today! Justin is unfortunately out of town, but will be back tomorrow and will get to meet both the boys this week. I went and met the youngest and went to a doctor's appointment with him where I was able to learn some more, as well as hold him after his shots :)

Its sort of a weird feeling right now. We want to give our hearts, but we also have concerns. Those concerns are honestly keeping me from getting too excited or attached right now, but I know all those things will come at the right time. When all of us are ready :)

So that's been the last couple days. A lot has gone on and a lot is to come. I'll do my best to keep everyone updated.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and encouragement this last month. Keep those prayers coming please!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mel! I am thrilled and nervous just like you are! I am praying like crazy that God in His greatness will continue to work out all those details that you cannot see right now. That He will continue to guide you and Justin towards the future He has for you and whomever He places in your care. Your hearts are in the right place and God is going to do mighty things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I can't even imagine the roller coaster your emotions are on right now! Ryan and I will be praying that God continues to guide you two, as He always does, and that you will see His hand at work in every decision. Awesome to hear your updates.

    ReplyDelete