Hank had a CT scan done today on his skull. The poor guy has a rather large Charlie Brown head and one doctor had some concerns about the shape of it in certain areas so wanted to do a scan to be sure that everything was growing as it should.
We were told he would be sedated for this, so that's what we prepared for. However, upon our arrival the nurse asked if it was close to his nap time. I told her that he most likely was tired and she said that in that case we should just try to get him to sleep and have him sleep through the CT scan instead of being sedated. While I am in favor of not using drugs whenever possible, I also know Hank. He has difficulty falling asleep, he is unable to self soothe once he is upset, and he is a very very very light sleeper. As I was explaining this, the nurses response was, "uh huh, uh huh..." She said that's how most kids are and they just end up falling asleep anyway. I tried to explain how we don't know the extent of his drug exposure and how that may effect his ability to calm down and soothe himself to sleep and was again answered with "uh huh, uh huh, well kids usually fall asleep after awhile and like the cradle (board with straps) we put them in." I told her I understand wanting to not use sedation if possible, but that his last series of xrays where he was strapped to a board for 20 minutes did not end in him falling asleep, but escalating in screaming. Furthermore, I tried to explain that he is a very light sleeper and that once we moved him or he heard the CT machine he would wake up anyway. Again, answered with "uh huh, uh huh, I think he'll be just fine." SO we tried it her way which ended in Hank being strapped to a board and crying then screaming for about 20 minutes as I tried to rock him to sleep on it. Once he was almost asleep, a poor little boy next door began screaming which startled Hank who then began crying again. The nurse wasn't around so at that point we decided to unstrap him and pick him up.
Finally an anesthesiologist came in and we explained everything to her. She agreed that he should be sedated. Only one adult could go into the CT room so Justin waited and I took Hank across the hall. Once in the room the people in there said that it would only take about 5 minutes and that it was okay if he cried the whole time and that we should not sedate him. I tried to explain everything to them and they also told me how most kids handle it and assured me it would all be fine. So once again they strapped him to the board and the screaming began. I held him down while they did the scan only for them to come out and say that he moved around too much and needed to be sedated. Poor Justin who was across the hall and still thinking they were just going to sedate him right away was hearing Hank's cries and screams and wondering what was going on.
In the end, he survived, but my hope was that he would not have yet another fearful experience that would once again emotionally set him back. I know they deal with all sorts of people every day and a lot of over protective moms, but it was incredibly frustrating and emotional to not be listened to when you know your child and know what he can and cannot handle. In the end I think it was a lot more difficult on us than Hank, and I am thankful for that.
The good news is that everything came back looking good. There are parts of his skull that have fussed too early, but they are not the significant parts that would inhibit his brain from being able to grow. That was what the concern was. The parts that looked like they have fussed or look abnormal are areas where that normally does not happen so they actually weren't too sure what to make of it. Four different surgeons came in at the same time and they all seemed to agree that they would all have different opinions about what that meant. So they want to see him back in 6 months, but for now they are not too worried. We're very happy and thankful that nothing further is needed!
I know this was a long update on today and I'm very tired so a lot may not make sense, but I know a lot of people were praying and I wanted to let you all know how it went. He seemed to be doing well tonight, but please just continue to pray for Hank's heart and mind; that he would be filled with peace and know he is safe with us. He has other tests to come next month and I pray that he would not have a spirit of fear from all this, but would be unshaken by all that because he somehow knows how much he is loved and cared for.
Thank you to all of you who sent encouraging posts and texts and to those of you who prayed for us today and continue to do so.
Mel, I'm so sorry! It is so true that a mom knows her child best. I'm thankful for the results at least and will continue praying for Hank. Ryan and I are loving your creative photos on FB! ;)
ReplyDelete